We made it!!!

--> Please, take the time to read this!  
My parents are a part of a mission organization called Global Recordings Network (GRN).  In some countries people and natives have no written language; they’re oral. (They have no alphabet).  How can these people hear the wonderful news of Jesus if they can’t read the Bible?  GRN has the solution.  There must be a way that these people can hear the gospel without having to read… this is where GRN comes in.  They send “recordists” to different parts of the world to record Bible stories, in these languages, onto CDs and give them out to the people who speak it.  For example:  Let’s say GRN sends a recordist to Spain; the recordist will then search for a person who speaks both Spanish and English and then asks this person if they would mind being recorded.  Once they have the recording, the GRN staff will then edit it and make it into a CD.  So now the recording is on a CD; how does this CD get distributed to people who speak Spanish?  This is my dad’s job; he is the Director of Distribution for the U.S.  He travels with small teams to countries, such as Spain, and hands the CDs out for free. 
I’m sure your still wondering why I came to Ecuador, right?  Well, GRN is holding a training seminar for recordists, teaching them how to use the newest and latest recording equipment.  My job here: to help out with little things: leading worship, labeling cords, making snack, babysitting a recordist’s two little girls (Hannah- 6, Casey-1 ½); anything anyone needs help with.  Now your probably wondering what have I done yet?
Well, bright and early Wednesday morning (September 26, 2012) my family (Emil- Dad, Stacy-Mom, Tatum- little sister -10, and me, Becca -13), Matt Haide (the GRN intern from Oregon) and David and Gerry Gutierrez (a couple who also work with GRN) all drove up to the LAX airport.  At the airport we met up with 3 men recordists, 2 from Australia (Noal and Kim), and 1 from Thailand (John). Our 5 hr flight took off at 10:40am heading to Miami, Florida.  We later boarded the plane once again this time for Quito, Ecuador. A while back I heard a story about Gerry on a plane.  First let me tell you something; she is a doctor.  Before the plane even took off a man had a heart attack, luckily Gerry was there to help.  The man recovered and Gerry was bumped up to first class.  What a God thing!  Knowing this story, I had a strange feeling that something like this would happen on the plane.  On this 4 hr flight something did happen, not as drastic as the first, but still a medical emergency.  There was a 6 yr old girl in the row of seats in front of me who had a fever and her hands were shaking.  Fortunately, my dad could tell that the little girl was having a seizure, and quickly called Gerry over.  Gerry gave the little girl some medicine and calmed down her hysterical mother.  The girl was fine and the stewardess gave Gerry a bottle of champagne.  Praise God!( About the little girl being alright, not about the champagne).  Once arriving in Quito, we located our luggage, got our passport stamped and went and stood in line for customs (where they x-ray our bags once again).  As our suitcases were exiting the machine, the woman looking at the x-ray, started asking us what in the world the equipment was for.  Having no clue what we were trying to say, (she spoke Spanish), she decided to go through our suitcases for herself.  As the lady began looking at the equipment, my mom remembered that in her bag was a paper saying what the equipment was.  She gave it to the woman, she read it, nodded her head and released us. Thank you Lord!  Later my family found out that there were two planes that arrived that night, we were scheduled to land first, but instead landed second.  We also discovered that the first plane that had arrived had gotten ALL of their luggage checked, that could have been us.  All glory to you, God! 
At the airport there was a man named Gustavo, who is a recordist with GRN, came and picked us up in a bus that he had rented.  The bus driver took us to a hostel used for teams on short-term mission trips.  We stayed there for the night and left for the scenic, 5-hour drive to Shell, Ecuador.  Wow, and when I say scenic, I mean it; tons of pretty rivers, beautiful house and tree covered mountains, gorgeous turquoise skies, big fluffy, white clouds, and the best part; a glorious, perfect rainbow.  Trust me, I have plenty of pictures to prove it.  When we arrived in Shell, we stopped at I-Tec the location the training course will be held.  We sorted through our bags and headed for our houses.  My family is staying at the Williams’ house.  The Williams are missionaries with Youth World, and are on a visit to California.  No, they’re not staying at my house, but in Orange County.  Their house is such a blessing!  Internet access, warm showers, and on the roof there are 6, yes 6, hammocks!!!!!!!!!  Pure Awesomeness!!!
This afternoon, after church, my family, Noal, Kim, and John, were walking to my house when all of a sudden it started pouring rain, we quick ran toward shelter, a bus stop, where many others were also sitting, avoiding the rain.  We stood there shivering, holding our umbrellas, trying to block the wind from blowing rain and soaking us, for about 10 -15 minutes.  Besides this ordeal, the weather has been beautiful no humidity, and clear skies.  
So far I have been on a suspension bridge, eaten new and old foods, learned a ton of new Spanish words, gotten the opportunity to lead worship (I play the guitar), and met lots of new people.  This morning the team attended a Spanish speaking church.  For worship we sang Your Love Endures Forever, How Great is Our God, and a few other songs that I have never heard before, all in Spanish.  I just clapped and hummed along.  Thank you so much all of you who have been praying for my family and I, it really makes a difference.        

No comments:

Post a Comment