Staying Pure

Have you ever wondered what people mean when they say they "want to stay pure"?  Most of you may first think of staying pure physically, before marriage, but for me, and others, it means so much more.

Last month, for my 16th birthday, my parents bought me a purity ring- then made me explain what it meant, and why I wanted one.

As it says in 1 Timothy 4:12, "Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in PURITY." 
I love this verse- it has always been an encouragement to me, because I'm still young, and because I love the thought of being an example to other believers, not for my benefit- but to glorify God.
Back to purity- I think for me the thought of having a purity ring is to show people, not that I am pure, but that I'm striving to be.  To me, purity is so much more than not having sex before marriage (although I strongly agree with this). To me purity includes being of a sober mind (1 Peter 5:8, 1:13), not comforming to the pattern of this sinful world (Romans 12:2), and putting God ultimately first (Matthew 6:33) in my life- before any of my plans or any guy.
  To you purity may not even be important, but I urge and encourage you, that even if you haven't been staying "pure", that you would turn to God and look to be "purified" through Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment